Donald J. Miester, Jr.back to attorneys »
Donald J. Miester, Jr. is the Chair of Taggart Morton's Appellate Practice Section. Don is a lifelong New Orleanian and was raised in Lakeshore. He graduated from Jesuit High School in 1983, magna cum laude. Don attended Tulane University for undergraduate work and law school, receiving both his Bachelor of Science and Juris Doctorate degrees magna cum laude.
During law school Don was an Associate Editor of the Tulane Law Review, as well as a member of four moot court teams. He then served as the law clerk to United States District Judge F.A. Little, Jr. in Alexandria, Louisiana before entering private practice. Don served as the law clerk to United States District Judge Mary Ann Vial Lemmon from 2000 - 2006.
Don has been lead counsel for appeals and writs in every Louisiana circuit, the United States Fifth and Eleventh Circuit Courts, the Supreme Court of Louisiana, and the United States Supreme Court. He has been invited to speak at several seminars addressing appellate practice.
Don is also an experienced trial attorney, and he has handled many complex commercial cases at the district court level.
- Appellate Practice
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- American Bar Association (Appellate Practice Section)
- Louisiana Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- A.B. Freeman School of Business, Tulane University, B.S.M., magna cum laude, 1987
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D.,magna cum laude, 1990
- Associate Editor, Tulane Law Review, 1989-90
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
- Law Clerk to the Honorable F.A. Little, Jr., United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana, 1990-91
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Mary Ann Vial Lemmon, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, 2000-06
Common Mistakes on Appeal, April 13, 2012 (Presentation sponsored by the Jefferson Parish Bar Association)
Maximizing Your Chances on Appeal No Matter What Your Size, January 24, 2012 (Presentation sponsored by the New Orleans Bar Association)
"Trade Secret Misappropriation under the Louisiana Trade Secrets Act," 44 La. Bar J. 326 (1996)